There are FIVE (5) facets/components that give you authority — as a leader, as a coach, as an educator, etc.
– This is not power in terms of strength, but rather your ability to deliver on what you say, and do the things you say you do.
– Social proof demonstrates your power to achieve your clients the results they desire and proves to others that you have the power to deliver.
– In leadership, you demonstrate to others the path that will help them achieve success. For your team, this translates into ascension in the company as a result of their influence on company growth.
– I want to preface this with the idea that you should always be growing, learning and stretching your knowledge base, and by no means am I saying you need to be an expert.
– But you do need to know what you’re talking about and teaching.
– Expertise is demonstrated, and thus gives you authority, when you share your knowledge freely with those seeking to learn what you know.
– This is a position or a delegated authority.
– In fitness, the personal trainer/fitness coach is in a position of authority and therefore commands a certain level of attention because of their position in that realm.
– As the owner of your business, this gives you a position of authority because you are in fact the boss.
– By sharing your knowledge, and achieving results for others, this gives you influence.
– In parenting , it is the position of the parent, the expertise they have demonstrated, and the history of the results achieved with a child that give the parent influence when a child becomes an adolescent.
– You are respected for your skills, knowledge, and talents which EARN you influence that you then use for good. i.e. leading others to do the same!
– This is your willingness to put aside your ego in order to serve others in greater need.
– As a leader, you demonstrate this facet of authority by submitting to what your staff needs and by helping them become what they are striving to achieve.
– Submission is the greatest calling of a leader and subsequently the hardest.
As leaders in your businesses, you will have authority in the eyes of those you lead.
Initially due to your OFFICE, but over time through the other 4 components.
The more you strengthen each facet of authority, the greater leader you will be.